Sunday, June 26, 2011

Getting to know Katia

So far, she's been pretty quiet, but we have learned a few things about our new family member. I want to ask her what happened to her birth family, but my mom says we should wait until she tells us. I think the adoption people told my mom, but she wants Katia to tell us all herself when she is comfortable with us. I can wait. Anyway, here are a few things we've learned about her so far:

Birthday: May 28th
Favorite Color: Purple
Favorite Food: Frozen yogurt (She tried it yesterday, and she ate so much she puked.)
Favorite Subject: History
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina (She says it was her mother's favorite book.)
Favorite Movie: Ice Princess (She saw it for the first time last night!)
Favorite Sport: Figure skating (She can do double jumps!)
Favorite Animal: Puppies

Katia is teaching me Russian. Before we went to sleep last night, she whispered, "Ya lyublyu tebya", which means "I love you", to me. I think we are going to become friends. She's supposed to be sharing a room with Mei, but when I woke up this morning, she was in my bed. Mei refuses to sleep over in my room because I snore, but Katia didn't seem to mind. I snapped a few pictures of her today, when we were playing outside.






5 comments:

  1. Katia seems very cool. I have to make an obsessive Miley Cyrus reference- her character was reading Anna Karenina in The Last Song.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know Katia more as well.
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Katia is so pretty. She seems like a cool person, too.

    We approve of her interests and preferences. ;-)

    (Charissa in particular was pleased to hear she loves puppies.)

    Very sweet that she slept in your room.

    For the record, we agree with your mom about not asking about her birth family yet. I know you don't remember yours, Keesha, but the girls in our family were older when we were adopted, and for some of us - maybe all, to be honest - it's a painful subject. Anything that means you lost your parents is pretty sad. We would want to wait until we knew the person before we talked about it.

    Love,
    The Green Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I do remember a few things about my life pre-adoption, some bad stuff and some good stuff. Like I said before, I can wait. I really want to know everything about my new sister, but I can be patient with her as long as she needs it. Mei, on the other hand, is having a hard time waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, Keesha. We remembered that you remembered some of your past, but we had forgotten that you specifically remembered your birth parents. That's cool.

    Has Katia been able to open up at all yet?

    Even if she doesn't want to talk about her first family, maybe you could ask her about the place where she lived before she came to the United States. Like if she was in an orphanage or foster care or something, maybe she wouldn't mind talking about that part?

    Love,
    The Green Girls

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember much! I was really tiny! But, sometimes, I have these dreams about my birth family, and when I wake up, I know they are real memories.

    As for Katia, she still doesn't talk much, but she does talk in her sleep! Too bad it's in Russian!

    ReplyDelete