Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm making friends!

Hi, everyone! It's Katia!

I'm so excited! I'm making friends that are my friends first! So far, most of my new friends have been friends of my sisters. I like them, and they like me, but sometimes it feels like they are still Keesha's friends or Mei's friends instead of my friends. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'd love to tell you about my new friends.

My first new friend's name is Reminy Mastriani. She's actually my English tutor, but we're becoming friends. She's a sixth grader at one of the other private schools here in Cincinnati. She plays soccer like Keesha, but their teams are big time rivals. Keesha doesn't like Remy on the soccer field, but she's trying really hard to be nice to her when she comes over to tutor me.

My other new friend's name is Elizaveta Zakharova-Fields. She was adopted in May from Crimea, which is in Ukraine. A lot of people from that part of the country are ethnically Russian. Elizaveta is one of them. She doesn't speak much, even in Russian, but I do know that she was in an orphanage there. We met in a support group for kids adopted from eastern Europe. I've been going ever since I got to America, but Elizaveta joined our group a few weeks ago. Her new mom told us that she's having some trouble adjusting to life in America. I really want to help her, but I don't know how.

I'll try to post some pictures after the Thanksgiving holiday. This is my first real American holiday! I'm very excited (and a little nervous) to try all the Thanksgiving foods.

We've been super busy, so we didn't get a chance to say so, but Keesha's birthday was a week or so ago. She turned 11 years old on 11/11/11! It was a really special day for her. Her birthday cake was shaped like a soccer ball! My friend Inky also has a birthday soon. Hers is tomorrow!

Happy Birthday, Keesha and Inky!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the birthday wishes, Katia!! Give Keesha my best greetings too!

    Elizaveta sounds really nice. Her situation sounds more like mine that yours- we were both in orphanages. She's probably having a tough time. What I remember is that it was hard for me to go from being one of a hundred kids in my children's home to being an only child. Maybe Elizaveta is feeling that way? Plus, she probably only knew limited English so she might just be overwhelmed.

    Does your adoption group speak Russian? Maybe you and Elizaveta could find a group for Russian-speaking kids as well as your adoption group.

    Much love!

    -Inks (It's my last night of being 10. Tomorrow I'll be 11, so I can give you wiser and more mature advice!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Inky! Keesha says "hello and happy birthday" to you too.

    Our group is mostly Russian-speaking, but there area few kids who are Czech, a few who are Romanian, and one boy who is from Bulgaria. There are about 25 of us. What can I do to help her? You are right. My situation was really different. She doesn't speak much English, as far as I can tell. I've never heard her use English.

    Maybe tomorrow you will have some 11 year old advice for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should talk to her nicely in Russian. Keep conversation pretty neutral. Remember how hard it was for you to transition to the US? It's doubly hard for her because she is transitioning from a children's home to a loving family. That's really tough.

    As she bonds with her new family, she is probably really scared that they will reject her.

    Be supportive to her. Maybe give her some Russian candy that might be familiar to her. Ask her over for dinner and have your mom making a familiar Russian dish. Remember plov- the chicken and rice dish you and I both love? Maybe have your mom make that. It may be that her new family isn't cooking any Russian foods for her.

    Basically, her life is pretty big and confusing right now. Give her friendship, but don't be surprised if she seems kind of standoffish- she's still making a big adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the candy is a good idea! I'll ask if we can stop at the international grocery store before my next group meeting. If she seems okay with that, I'll invite her to dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this is Bree. :-)

    Congratulations on making some new friends, Katia!

    I know what you mean about friends that are just yours, not your sisters' friends first. I felt the same way when I moved here. My new sisters introduced me to their friends, and everyone was nice to me, but I'm also glad I met people through my own interests.

    I'm sure it must be a big transition for both you and Elizaveta. I felt like it was a big transition for me, and I only moved from the United States to Canada, where the culture is pretty similar and most people speak the same language.

    It must have been hard for you guys to move to a place with an entirely different culture and language. You seem to be doing great, though!

    Tell Keesha belated happy birthday from us. :-)

    Love,
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are making lots of friends :)

    ReplyDelete